Sledging – Uthappa Style

Sledging – Uthappa Style

Uthappa has written a column in cricinfo about sledging and how he and his teammates are not bogged down by sledging. He also mentions a conversion he had with Hayden,

Hayden, "This boy has got an average of 27; let’s bring it down to 20 before he leaves Australia."
Uthappa, “You know Matt, if you had batted in different positions that I have batted in you wouldn't even have had the average of 20”

I think someone should tell him that what he did was called defending and not sledging. All he was trying was to be a cry baby. Sledging is an art, and being a hardcore guy who grew up in Triplicane, I have seen guys cry, seen guys getting angry and guys who do what Uthappa did. They think they reciprocated well, but in turn they only made fool of themselves. Where I grew up, It’s not just on cricket field where sledging happens; it was part and parcel of life around me. I have to admit, I have been on the receiving end lots of time but you move on and as the Australians say, if at the end of the day you can go to a bar and laugh about it, it’s all OK.

Is there a guy who is good at sledging in the Indian team? I think Ganguly was good at it. When the opposition captain comes out and complains, then you have own half the battle, I remember the scenario with toss in the Chennai test against Australia. Dude came late, and Steve Waugh was livid. If he did it on purpose that’s priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Globalization

கருணாநிதி -

Youth Wing