World Cup

“This is what I dreamt about, growing up”, Sachin Tendulkar.

Until I moved to Madras, cricket is just a sport. How much it lives in the blood of many, well you have to live there to understand. May be that’s the reason why when people talk to me about science of cricket, I kind of rubbish them and normally not continue any discussion on that subject. If you have to compare cricket to education then Madras would be the IIT of Cricket. I have to say not just cricket, sports by itself is something part of Madras. Back in my school days, there is always a 2 sets of groups, one following the top seeds and the other the loveable losers. I have always been sided with the losers, may be because of state of physical condition nevertheless what it did was bring out heated arguments between these group analyzing the best and worst of a match. Be it Wimbledon, Cricket or Soccer match there would always be discussion. What it does is help you learn the game and honestly it did.

I follow Ranji more than Indian Cricket; I know a majority of Ranji players than international players. Not because it’s better but because that’s how I grew up, breeding on Ranji statistics. Growing next to cheapauk, whenever there is Ranji match that evening a Triplicane mama would be discussing about that particular day’s play passionately. We knew about W.V Raman even before he was playing in Ranji (There is of course “Adra Rama” story, which is a different write up).

So you might ask what Madras Miscellany has got anything with World Cup Victory?, Well, for every Tendulkar, Dravid, or even W.V Raman there are thousands of K.P Bhaskars, V Ramnaryan, Kanwaljit Singh or Venkataraman Sivaramakrishnan. These are not ordinary players who were not good enough to represent the country; these are players who are better than so many who have represented India. This article is to show my respect to those, these are individual who didn’t have the dream of lifting the world cup but who dreamt of representing India.

I never believed in luck, even though I want it to be part of my life with no avail. At this time of great joy, celebrating the world cup victory, my mind revolves around these individuals who kept my dream of cricket alive, for whom if the roll of dice has went their way, I wouldn’t be writing anything about them. Respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Globalization

கருணாநிதி -

Youth Wing